Wednesday 12 October 2011

Sneaky Peaks

Not my actual weight feet!
Having spent a lot of time on the weight watchers community boards recently, I have been reading all about Sneaky Peaks.  These are when you get on your scales in between your weekly weight watcher way ins, to see how you are getting on.  The general consensus is that these are BAD.  If you have lost you will thinks its OK to binge on everything in the house, and if you have put on you will be so fed up you will drive the the nearest McDonalds,  Pretend you are buying for a family of four, and shove it all in between the Drive Thru and your house.  OK, I thought, what a load of rubbish.  Just because Weight Watchers specify you should not weigh in between meetings does not mean this is a bad thing.  They are a money makng business after all, and while they are working for me right now, this does not mean I should follow every rule.  But, like the good little Weight Watcher I am, I did not get on those scales between Weigh-Ins.

In the car the other day I was talking to Husband about fishing, and about the weight of the British record Pike.  Apparently it weighed 46lbs.  So that is about the same weight as Daughter!  Well, you can't just say it is about the same weight, when we got home out came the scales and we weighed Daughter.  Yep, She weighs exactly the same as the record pike.  Then we weighed Son.  He weighs more, but not a lot more.  Then, foolishly, while the scales were out, I hopped on.  According to our scales I have not lost a drop since last week.  Not an ounce, not a gram, NOTHING!  'OK,' I said to myself, 'You should not weigh in during the week because your weight fluctuates, you are wearing different clothes, you have drunk a lot of coffee, it's water retention.' I tried to shrug it off.  I was not going to be one of these who lets the odd number fluctuation put them off the overall picture. 

Yesterday I ate a whole Pizza by myself!

This was a return to the dark days, the days when I ate to cover up how miserable I felt.  When I thought if i could fill every last inch of me with food, there would be no room for the bad feelings.  And I have had pizza since I was on weight watchers.  But that was normal, sensible, planned and pointed pizza.  Looking back in the cold light of morning, this seems so silly.  So I had not lost anything.  I look in the mirror and I can see changes, I feel more confident, only a tiny bit, but it is there.  My clothes are more comfortable, my bras fit better again.  But I let one little number knock me off track.  And I did not feel any better afterward.  I felt full, but no different.

So the rule is - no more Sneaky Peeks - Weight Watchers are right.  And while I know this diet is not forever, and I will need to learn to stand on my two feet, without the rules and regulations of Weight Watchers to use as a crutch, at the moment I need them to support me.

What do you think then - Is getting on the scales at random times OK, or should we throw the scales out the window altogether?

In other news my ankle is feeling much better.  I am going to give the Zumba on the Wii a go, on the basic level and see how it holds up.  I am booked into a zumba class tomorrow and Friday, so hoping I will be fine. I have a food plan in place to get me through to Weigh-In.  Heres hoping for those numbers to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment